Thursday, August 12, 2010

Grilled Cheese for Adults Only

I really like American cheese. I think it must be my inner child but I actually like it. Whenever I go to Subway I get a ham sub with American cheese on it. Not too long ago I rediscovered my love for grilled cheese sandwiches. It had probably been a year since I'd had one but they're fantastic and I always use American cheese.

Last week I decided to make a more grown up variation of the grilled ham and cheese standard. We were getting ready to move and didn't have much money so we were just living off of what was left in our fridge and freezer. I had bread, butter, American cheese and salmon so I combined them and made a grilled salmon and cheese sandwich.

I have problems when it comes to cooking fish. I always over cook it in the and it comes out a bit dry. You gotta watch the stuff like a hawk because it'll get overdone in that extra 2 minutes you put it back in the oven for before it flakes off the skin as it should.

Normally when I cook salmon, I just put a little butter or olive oil on the top with some garlic salt. It usually is a little bit more bland than I'd like it to be so tonight I think I'll try it with some of my favorite: balsamic vinegar.

So I ended up making one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches you could ever have. I think the key when trying to invent something to eat is to think of the kinds of things you already go well together. I know salmon and balsamic vinegar is good. I know salmon and cream cheese is good. I know montery jack is always good. I know garlic is good with just about anything. So I just combined all of the above and got what Steven and I have named the Ben Lomand Salmon Melt:










No comments:

Post a Comment